Princess Grace Film Awards
Grant Period: September 1, 2018 - August 31, 2019
Deadline: June 1, 2018 (11:59 PST)
L to R: Thalia Fry, Allison Waite, and David Riker
Please read the below guidelines carefully to ensure eligibility.
SCHOLARSHIPS are awarded to help support students’ thesis film projects at the undergraduate and graduate level. The category of Film is comprised of (but not limited to) narrative/documentary/experimental/animation/hybrid work, as well as new work including media installations, transmedia, webisodes, interactive web work and other projects where the moving image is the primary component.
These grants will be made in accordance with the student’s thesis project budget; no administrative charges, overhead or indirect costs incurred by the school may be charged against the grant. Should funding be awarded, acknowledgement of winning a Princess Grace Award, including the Princess Grace Awards logo, must appear in film credits/any related materials, and a copy of the completed film must be sent to the Foundation.
Nominees must meet the following criteria:
- Be a full-time student or matriculated but not yet have completed thesis film
- Have completed at least one film as a director
- Be the director of the proposed thesis film
Be nominated by the dean or department chair of the film program. Open to select schools by invitation only.
NEW in 2018, PGF-USA is pleased to offer the Stephen Hillenburg Animation Scholarship, created specifically to fund an animation artist. Schools invited to apply may nominate one undergraduate and one graduate student for a Stephen Hillenburg Animation Scholarship separately from (and in addition to) the Princess Grace Film Scholarship. Please note animators can be nominated in either category and do not need to only apply in the Stephen Hillenburg Animation Scholarship category.
Required from Nominee:
- Complete online application
- Resume, including filmography. Please submit a standard resume. Not to exceed two pages; minimum font: 12pt; 1” margins.
- Thesis project description: Please provide a short synopsis/brief description of your thesis film. The statement should include the format and duration (Running Time) of the film as well as the style or treatment in visual terms. Be sure to include a timeline for the project, including expected date of completion and what stage in the timeline the project currently stands. Not to exceed one page; minimum font: 12pt; 1” margins.
- Brief artist statement: Please describe how this project fits into your short and long term artistic, personal, and career goals. Describe the individual approach that you bring to your films. Not to exceed one page; minimum font: 12pt; 1” margins.
- Script or story summary of the proposed thesis project. Be as specific as possible about the narrative, structure and visual treatment you are planning. Not to exceed one page; minimum font: 12pt; 1” margins. You have the option to also provide a scene by scene description and/or storyboard in your supplemental materials.
- Budget of proposed thesis project: All nominees must complete the online budget worksheet provided within the application. The budget is a key component of your application, and represents your project in quantitative terms. It is important to the panel’s understanding of your project and you are best served by presenting a realistic and accurate budget. Incomplete or inaccurate budgets will be deemed ineligible.
- PGF-USA funding may not be applied to expenses incurred prior to September 1, 2018 which is the start of the grant period.
- PGF-USA funds may not be applied to director's fees for the nominee.
- PGF-USA may, at its discretion, choose not to fund any specific line item(s) in the budget.
- Work samples: Submit at least 2 samples of your work. Submitted materials become the property of the Princess Grace Foundation-USA.
Required from Nominator:
- Nominator’s letter of recommendation (Department Chair/Dean): Please tell us why you consider this candidate to be currently outstanding in their field and deserving of a Princess Grace Award, and how they have demonstrated their excellence and future potential as an outstanding artist. At the top of the letter, please include a brief description of the nomination process and a list of the participants in that process. Not to exceed two pages; minimum font 12pt; 1" margins.
- Biography of nominator. Not to exceed one page, minimum font: 12pt, 1” margins.
- List of nominating department faculty
- Description of program offerings
- Copy of IRS determination letter certifying 501(c)(3) tax-exempt status
- Please make sure the link submitted is live and accessible June 1, 2018 through July 31, 2018 to give the panel ample time to view the sample. We strongly recommended that live streaming links be secure and you must provide the Princess Grace Foundation-USA with passwords that are good through July 31, 2018.
- The total duration of all work samples may not exceed 10 minutes. The panel will not view more than 10 minutes of required work samples and it is up to the applicant to edit their samples to fit within the 10 minute timeframe.
- In addition to the required work samples, nominees are also encouraged to submit a complete short film as supplemental viewing material. Supplemental material does not count toward your 10 minute sample limit.
- Submit only samples of work directed/created by the nominated filmmaker.
- Panel will not view promotional videos, trailers, commercials or PSA’s.
Tips for successful work samples:
- Work samples are a significant component of your application and we urge you to use care in selecting the samples you submit. Competitive applicants, in general, submit at least one continuous scene from their film(s), and when possible submit works which are stylistically relevant to the proposed thesis project.
- If there are rough scenes of the proposed thesis project available, include these clips in the application. Only include this material if the scenes are far enough along to accurately represent the project. Concisely and carefully describe their relevance.
- The panel views all work samples on a single channel screen with 16:9 aspect ratio. If your sample work was originally created to be viewed in a different format (i.e., multi-channel installation, VR, etc.) please use the field below to describe how the work was originally viewed and is intended to be shown. This will allow the panel to envision the work as it is intented to be seen.
Start the application
** NOTE FOR UNIVERSITY STAFF: Princess Grace Foundation-USA understands that university staff will often fill out forms for their nominee. Please start your nominee’s application using their email address and full name to create an account. DO NOT USE the login credentials used last year for this year’s applicant’s form or create a new nominee application using your email address. If you are nominating more than one person for different categories, please be sure to create a new user login for each applicant with their respective email addresses. You should login with your email address only for the nominator form.